|COL. RUSS A. WALZ|
Colonel Russ A. Walz is the Commander of the 114th Fighter Wing, Joe Foss Field, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Colonel Walz received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration from the University Of South Dakota, Vermillion, S.D. in 1988.
Colonel Walz enlisted into the South Dakota Air National Guard in 1980 achieving the rank of Staff Sergeant. He was later commissioned through the Academy of Military Science in Knoxville, TN, earning distinguished graduate honors. He then attended Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus AFB, MS graduating in 1987.
Colonel Walz assumed command of the 114th Fighter Wing in March of 2006. Prior to Wing Commander, he held positions of 114th Operations Group Commander, 175th Fighter Squadron Commander, 175th Operations Officer, 114th Operations Support Flight Commander, Weapons and Tactics Officer, Chief of Current Operations, and Assistant Deputy Commander of Maintenance.
Colonel Walz is a command pilot with over 3,600 total fighter hours in the A-7D and F-16C aircraft. He has over 70 combat hours in support of Operations NORTHERN and SOUTHERN WATCH.
1988 University of South Dakota with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Management
1994 Squadron Officer School
1999 Air Command & Staff
2002 Air War College
1. September 1980 - November 1985, Fire Protection Specialist, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
2. November 1985 - November 1987, Pilot Trainee, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. November 1987 - November 1990, Pilot, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
4. November 1990 - February 1993, Assistant Maintenance Officer, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
5. February 1993 - August 1995, OIC Weapons and Tactics, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
6. August 1995 - August 1997, Operations Support Flight Commander, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
7. August 1997 - July 2000, 175th Fighter Squadron Operations Officer, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
8. July 2000 - July 2001, 175th Fighter Squadron Commander, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
9. July 2001 - March 2006, 114th Operations Group Commander, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
10. March 2006 - Present, 114th Fighter Wing Commander, Joe Foss Field, S.D.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,600
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, A-7D, F-16C
Pilot wings from: Columbus Air Force Base, MS
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with seven devices
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service with seven devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
State of South Dakota Distinguished Service Ribbon one oak leaf cluster
State of South Dakota Distinguished Unit Citation Ribbon
State of South Dakota National Guard Service Ribbon with five oak leaf clusters
State of South Dakota Desert Storm Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Enlisted Sep. 6, 1980
Second Lieutenant Nov. 7, 1985
First Lieutenant March 5, 1988
Captain April 7, 1990
Major Dec. 3, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel March 1999
Colonel Jan. 30, 2003
(Current as of September 24, 2014)
The date of publication indicated on this biography reflects the most recent update. It does not
necessarily reflect the date of printing.