Published September 04, 2008
The South Dakota Air National Guard has several programs to help finance your education.
1. GI BILL
- Paid directly to you each month, tax free.
- Attendance at any accredited college or technical school.
- Any job qualifies.
- Must enlist for six (6) years and complete all Initial Active Duty for Training.
- Amounts paid per month:
$317 for full time enrollment (12 credits)
$237 for 3/4 time enrollment
$158 for 1/2 time enrollment
$79.25 for <1/2 time enrollment
2. GI BILL KICKER
- Increases GI Bill benefits by $350 per month.
- Select career fields qualify.
3. 1/2 TUITION PAID
- Reduce tuition costs by 50 percent.
- South Dakota state supported schools.
The Air National Guard has a two-part incentive program available in select career fields.
1. STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM
- Repay up to $20,000 of government guaranteed student loans.
- Prior Service and Non-Prior Service can qualify.
2. CASH BONUS
- Non-Prior Service can qualify for a $20,000 cash bonus (select career fields).
- Prior Service can qualify for a $15,000 cash bonus (select career fields).
Pay is based on rank and length of service. A new recruit starts at $10.85 an hour for a Guard Drill weekend (having enlisted as an Airman Basic, E-1). The military pay chart reflects Guard Drill, monthly active duty and annual training (15 days) salary.
During your annual training, you may have the opportunity to travel the world with other members of the 114th Fighter Wing. Places include Curacao, Hawaii, Turkey, Germany and many locations throughout the United States.
STRIPES FOR SKILLS
If you have never been in the military before and enlist into any critical Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC), you may enlist as an Airman First Class, E-3. NOTE: High school seniors will be enlisted as an Airman Basic, E-1 and promoted to Airman First Class, E-3 after high school graduation.